Types of Rehabilitation Services for the Elderly with Disabilities
Elderly disabled people have a need not only for permanent care and assistance of medical workers but also for psychological support and social protection. Unfortunately, older people find it hard to re-engage in social life, because they do not always have the strength and energy to do so. Rehabilitation is a long process that requires some effort, both from the handicapped person himself/herself and from his/her relatives. The rehabilitation process requires taking into account the emotional and physical condition of the person. Rehabilitation of the elderly and disabled can be of the following types:
- Medical rehabilitation involves the restoration of the functioning of organs and body systems.
- Psychological rehabilitation allows you to maintain your mood and desire to continue treatment, to increase faith in your own strength.
- Social rehabilitation involves the restoration of a person’s ability to care for themselves independently, to communicate with other people, and return back to normal life.
- Vocational rehabilitation is especially important for those who have become disabled before the age of 50, although everyone wants to be able to work. This type of rehabilitation allows the elderly to restore the ability to work.
- Educational rehabilitation involves consulting on legal, medical, and social issues. This type of rehabilitation allows you to make informed decisions that relate to the organization of care for the disabled.
- Gerontological care involves a whole range of measures to serve the elderly, which takes into account the age, physical and psychological characteristics of the elderly.
- Private Boarding Homes for Disabled Elderly:
- Private boarding houses offer different programs depending on the needs of the elderly person. It may simply care for a disabled person or a special individual rehabilitation program that can be developed for any period of time. Such boarding houses, as a rule, provide services for the preparation of rehabilitation programs and the organization of care for an elderly person at home.
- Private boarding house can serve not only as a place of rehabilitation but also as a rest home. Older people are very comfortable to be there, as they are provided with proper care, food is organized taking into account the characteristics of people in old age, there is an opportunity to talk with a psychologist and discuss their fears and problems. In addition, private resorts care about the leisure of the elderly, i.e., they organize various activities and classes of interest for seniors. The prices for these services often vary, but basically, the cost of accommodation is comparable to the cost of staying in a cheap hotel.
Medigap Coverage for Older Adults: The 2020 Medicare advantage plans located at medicareadvantageplans2020.org seem to be quite popular among over 65 elderly as they cover costs like deductibles which are not covered by Regular Medicare Program.